In 2017, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said what many already knew. They declared the opioid crisis a public health emergency.
We’ve seen the devastating impact of this crisis in Florida. Synthetic opioid use has skyrocketed in recent years, and the data shows that. Opioids were responsible for most of the overdoses recorded in the state during 2017.
The statistics are disheartening. But there is hope for you or someone you care about who is struggling with addiction.
Know you’re not alone. And take comfort in this overview of treatment resources in Hollywood, Florida.
Jump to a Section...
Drug and Alcohol Treatment Resources in Hollywood, Florida
Are you looking for Hollywood, Florida, treatment facilities? There are a variety of centers to consider.
Treatment Centers in Hollywood
There is no shortage of treatment centers in Hollywood, FL. Regardless of the type of substance abuse struggle you or a loved one is facing, there is an option out there.
The American Addiction Centers database lists about 25 treatment facilities in the area. These centers offer various addiction specialties and the types of recovery programs.
Types of Treatment Centers in Hollywood
You’ll find two major treatment center options in Hollywood: outpatient or inpatient programs.
A drug rehab center in Hollywood is often a private facility. These centers are residential programs. That means patients stay for a certain amount of time to receive daily treatment and therapy.
There are also short-term and long-term inpatient programs. This means that treatment varies depending on how long you stay.
Some short-term residential programs can last a month or less. Long-term programs can last from four to six months and up to a year in some cases.
Programs Offered in Hollywood, Florida
One important aspect of care before entering a residential facility is detox. Many residential treatment centers also offer detox. So if you’re looking for a Hollywood, Florida, detox center, you may be able to find both in one place.
In this case, you could undergo detox in a safe environment and transition into residency. There are also stand-alone detox centers you can turn to.
Residential programs can offer a variety of therapy types. People can receive individual, group, and family therapy. Care is often focused around specific substance abuse and mental health concerns.
Outpatient therapy centers often include individual counseling along with structured group meetings.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse Statistics in Hollywood, Florida: You’re Not Alone
Drug abuse in Florida is an issue that impacts everyone in some way.
While Hollywood is home to about 152,000 residents, it’s just one city within Broward County. Many others have also seen the tragic results of drug and alcohol use.
The United Way of Broward County released a 2017 report that shows what’s happening in the county. They uncovered a few sobering facts about drug and alcohol trends in the greater county.
Alcohol was found to be a part of about half of all deaths related to drug use in 2016. And overdoses related to prescription opioids and non-pharmaceutical fentanyl have dramatically increased.
Other key findings include:
- Deaths from fentanyl between 2015-2016 more than doubled
- Since 2013 deaths linked to prescription opioids have increased
- In the first six months of 2016, there were 217 opioid-related deaths
- Heroin caused 94% of all drug-related deaths in 2016
The 2017 Hollywood police department annual report confirms that opioids are a problem. Most of the 2,184 pills seized during investigations fell under the opioid umbrella.
Mental Health Statistics Related to Drug Abuse
Beyond those numbers, there is also an important mental health statistic to consider. More than half of people who have a mental illness also suffer from substance abuse disorder.
This also goes the other way. Many people who have an addiction also have undiagnosed mental health disorders.
When someone you love is suffering from both, this is also known as co-occurring disorders. And it’s important to find a treatment program that can address this relationship.
Recovery Meetings Near Me in Hollywood, Florida
Rehab centers aren’t the only places to seek help. There are other treatment resources in Hollywood, Florida. Free and open community meetings are one great option.
You can find various meetings near you from the following resources:
- Alcoholics Anonymous in Broward County: Find a local meeting at aabroward.org
- Al-Anon meetings in South Florida: View meeting times and locations at http://www.southfloridaal-anon.org/meetings/
- SMART (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration) hotline: Call 800-662-HELP any day of the year for referrals and support
Inpatient vs. Outpatient Drug and Alcohol Treatment
Before entering a formal treatment program, compare inpatient vs. outpatient therapy.
Here are a few things to consider and ask yourself:
- A residential facility will offer a structured and safe environment. You’ll be with professionals and peers for a certain amount of time. Do you want/need this kind of routine?
- Outpatient programs offer some overlap with inpatient programs. But the big difference is you remain in your home. If you’d rather not uproot yourself, this may be the better option.
- Do you want a close sense of community? Outpatient therapy may involve some group sessions. But a residential center may provide a more regular sense of involvement with others.
- Are you disciplined enough to take yourself to meetings and do the work on your own? That’s what you’ll need with an outpatient treatment course.
- Can you afford the time and money that goes along with inpatient recovery?
What to Look for When Choosing a Facility in Hollywood, Florida
When it comes to choosing the facility that helps you with your journey toward recovery, it’s up to you. There’s no right or wrong answer.
If you’ve asked yourself these questions and you’re still uncertain, don’t worry.
Read our blog for more on treatment resources in Hollywood, Florida. Or contact us for more guidance. We’re here to support you.