Are you looking into alcohol and drug rehab centers in California? Before you commit to a California substance abuse treatment facility, take a moment to consider Florida for rehab instead. Florida is a perfect alternative to the west coast; similar weather, beautiful beaches, and quality treatment — at a more affordable price.
The Cost of Drug Rehab in California
The cost of living in California is high, and the often outrageous price tag for drug rehab centers in California is a huge stumbling block for many people. Southern California is especially well known for its luxury treatment centers that roll out the red carpet for Hollywood celebrities, star athletes, or titans of the business world. California has the highest number of posh treatment centers in the country, many of which are located in trendy SoCal cities like Malibu, Laguna Beach, andHollywood Hills.
Unfortunately, unless you’re a person with money, power, and influence, the high price and exclusivity of many Southern California drug rehab centers may be out of reach. This severely lowers the available options for those looking to get into treatment quickly. In contrast, Florida has a large number of treatment centers, and many rehabs in the sunshine state specifically focus on providing high-quality treatment at a price that won’t make you gasp.
Are Florida Treatment Centers as Good as Southern California Drug Rehab Centers?
The quality of substance abuse treatment isn’t always connected to the cost. Many Southern California drug rehab centers are notoriously expensive, not because the treatment is better, but because they offer a resort or spa-type experience. For instance, higher-priced rehabs offer an array of amenities such as personal chefs, private suites, gourmet dining rooms, horseback riding, or tennis. It isn’t unusual for a California substance abuse treatment facility to freely advertise its roster of celebrity clients.
All the perks are nice, but an expensive treatment center won’t get you on the path to recovery any faster than a moderately priced drug addiction treatment. Drug addiction treatment in California may be out of your price range, but if you’re committed to your recovery, a reasonably priced rehab in South Florida may offer precisely what you need.
You Won’t Be Giving Up Sunshine and Beautiful Beaches
People love Southern California for the warm, sunny days, spectacular vistas, and sandy beaches, but if you’re looking for the best weather, Florida’s tropical climate is hard to beat. You may need to pack a sweater or light jacket during the winter, but be ready for plenty of balmy days all year round.
California vs. Florida for Drug Rehab: Questions to Ask No Matter Where You Go
How can you tell which rehabs are good, and which are substandard? The best way to do this is to ask a lot of questions. Whether you decide to travel to Florida, or attend a California substance abuse treatment facility, here is a list of several factors that you should consider when you’re choosing a rehab for yourself or a loved one.
Vetting Substance Abuse Treatment Centers
Staff at a quality rehab is knowledgeable, compassionate, and willing to freely share information. If they are unwilling to answer all of your questions, even if you make multiple phone calls, it’s probably not the right place for you.
- Find out if the treatment methods evidence-based, which means they have been carefully tested and backed by solid scientific research. Be careful about treatment providers that make lofty promises or offer miracle cures. Similarly, beware of gifts or other inducements, which may indicate some shady business is going on.
- What types of drug detox programs does the treatment center offer? Will you be carefully monitored during withdrawal? Is a physician on staff? If the center doesn’t provide medical detox, can they refer you to a detox clinic or hospital if necessary?
- Does the rehab offer dual diagnosis treatment? This is an essential factor if you need help with conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder, or PTSD in addition to substance abuse. Staff at a dual diagnosis center should be educated, experienced, and able to help you with both issues together, not separately.
- Does the center offer medically-based treatment (MAT)? Medically based treatment, which involves traditional therapy in addition to certain prescribed medications, has proven to be effective for many people.
- Will your treatment be carefully planned with your needs and goals in mind? Beware of cookie-cutter treatment plans. Recovery isn’t a one-size-fits-all situation, and what works for one person may not work for you.
- Does the center offer complementary or alternative therapies that are important to you, such as outdoor therapy, yoga, massage therapy, mindfulness meditation, or fitness?
- Ask if treatment length is flexible if your needs change. Research over the last few decades has proven that longer stays in rehab, often lasting at least 90 days or even longer, offers a higher chance of long-term recovery. The standard length of 29 days isn’t enough for many people.
- Inquire about the price of treatment in Florida, then compare it to the cost of drug rehab in California and ask what insurance companies they each accept. If you aren’t insured, ask about payment plans or financial assistance programs. Be sure to let them know if you live out of the local area, as some insurance companies won’t cover treatment centers that are “out of network.”
- Find out what types of programs are available; for instance, does the center offer gender-specific treatment or co-ed programs? If a 12-Step, spiritually-based program or family therapy is important to you, don’t hesitate to ask about them. Programs may also be geared toward specific populations such as adolescents or LGBT individuals.
- Will the treatment center guide you through the creation of an aftercare or relapse prevention plan? Some centers offer counseling sessions after completion of treatment, or they will contact you via phone if you live outside the area. Others have regular alumni events.
- Ask about living conditions. While they don’t need to be fancy, the environment should be clean and comfortable. Many Florida treatment centers offer virtual tours on their websites, but an actual visit, if possible, is the best way to determine if conditions are suitable.
- What does a typical schedule look like? Will you have time for socializing with other clients? How about opportunities for solitude and quiet reflection? Does the center offer enjoyable group activities?
Learn More About 1st Step South Florida Rehab Center
Choosing a treatment center is an important decision that only you can make. First Step Behavioral Health in South Florida is a top-rated treatment center with a variety of program options and mental health services.
If you’re looking for help for you or a loved one, give us a call at 855-425-4846 or contact us here for more information. We’ll take the time to answer your questions and provide you any information you need that will help you in your search.